ZopicloneReturn to Zopiclone overview
I now have more independence and confidence as I know I can manage myself better and have control over my mental health.
Be very careful with alcohol while taking zopiclone
Do not drink alcohol while taking zopiclone because having the two together might make you go into a deep sleep where you find it difficult to wake up.
If you need to drive a car or ride a bike, or use machines at work, taking alcohol and zopiclone together could be dangerous to yourself and other people.
Do not drive a car or ride a bike just after you start taking zopiclone
- Taking zopiclone may make you feel tired or confused, and may give you double vision, even on the next day when you start taking it.
- These effects are made much worse if you take zopiclone with alcohol.
- This could affect you if you drive a car, ride a bike, or do anything else that needs a lot of focus. It might be best to stop doing these things for the first few days, until you know how it affects you.
- Do not worry - most people drive as normal while taking zopiclone.
Try not to start or stop zopiclone just before your exams
- Zopiclone can make you feel tired or confused and may give you double vision (even on the next day), when you first start taking it.
- You should talk to your doctor about any future exams if you are starting zopiclone.
- You might decide together to delay starting it until you have done them.
- If they are more than a month away, however, you might find that it is better to start zopiclone to improve your motivation to study.
- Do not worry - most people do exams as normal while taking zopiclone.
Zopiclone is not a banned substance in sport
- Zopiclone is not a banned substance in sport.
- Zopiclone has side-effects, however, that might make you less able to take part in sports that need a lot of focus.
- These side-effects include feeling sleepy, confused and having double vision.
- The good effects of zopiclone may have a good effect on your sporting performance as you sleep better.
Your weight should not be affected by zopiclone
- There is no information to say that zopiclone affects weight.
Zopiclone can affect your memory, especially if your sleep is interrupted
- Zopiclone can affect your recent memory, especially if you do not go to bed just after taking it, or if your sleep gets interrupted.
- Make sure that you can get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep if you are going to take zopiclone.
Let your family and friends know you are taking zopiclone so they can support you and help you look out for side effects
- The side-effects of zopiclone might put a strain on your friendships and relationships, especially in the first few days of taking it.
- You might feel confused or irritable, or have a low mood.
- These side-effects should get better after a few days.
- You should then be getting the good effects of zopiclone by sleeping better, and that should improve your relationships in itself.
- It might actually be a great idea to choose a good friend to tell about your medicine when you start taking it. (Or - even better - to take a friend with you to the doctor before you start taking the medicine!)
- They could look at the medicine leaflet, or at this website.
- They could help you to understand whether the medicine changes your behaviour, or gives you side-effects (sometimes it’s hard for us to see it ourselves).
Zopiclone can have side-effects that might affect your sex life
The good effects of zopiclone may have a good effect on your sex life as you get better sleep and you can concentrate on your relationships.
There are some side-effects that include:
- Not feeling like you want to have sex.
- Having a headache or a dry mouth.
- If you get any rashes, you just may not feel as sexy.
These effects should pass after the first couple of weeks. If they do not, and this is a problem for you, go back to the doctor and see what else you could try.
Zopiclone is not thought to affect fertility
- There is no evidence that zopiclone affects the fertility of men or women.
If you and your partner are trying to have a baby, you should go back to the doctor to talk through the options (see below for further information). Promethazine is usually the first choice.
Is it safe to take zopiclone in pregnancy?
There is no yes or no answer to this question. When deciding whether or not to take zopiclone during pregnancy it is important to weigh up how necessary zopiclone is to your health against the possible risks to you or your baby, some of which will depend on how many weeks pregnant you are.
Remaining well is particularly important during pregnancy and while caring for a baby. For some women, treatment with zopiclone in pregnancy may be the best option for both mother and baby.
Please consult the UK Teratology Information Service’s Best Use of Medicines in Pregnancy (Bumps) website for more information, including specific information on zopiclone in pregnancy.
- There does not seem to be a higher risk of malformations or miscarriage when the usual doses of zopiclone have been taken.
- If you take zopiclone every day in the weeks before delivery your baby is likely to be checked for any breathing difficulties, muscle weakness and a low blood sugar. Such problems have been reported with similar type drugs
- A small study has found zopiclone not to cause any of these problems for the baby.
Can I breast feed while taking zopiclone?
- Zopiclone is passed to the baby in breastmilk. Amounts are small but higher than those of zolpidem.
- You should discuss the risks and benefits of breastfeeding with your midwife or doctor.
- Remember that it is important for you to remain well whilst you are bonding with and looking after your baby. For this reason, it may be best to take medicine for your mental health when breastfeeding.
- Make sure that your doctor, nurse, or health visitor checks your baby for any side effects.
- If your baby was premature or has health problems, then you will need to be extra careful about taking medicines whilst breastfeeding. It may be best not to breastfeed if this is the case, however you should discuss this with your doctor or midwife.
Try not to drink caffeine drinks while you are taking zopiclone
- Caffeine can cause anxiety and sleep loss - stopping these drinks might help to improve your symptoms.
- Caffeine has the opposite effect of zopiclone in your body, and could stop it from working so well.
- If you can, try not to drink caffeine drinks (like coffee, cola or energy drinks) while you are taking zopiclone. If you find it hard to stop altogether, try cutting down as much as you can and avoid having any caffeine drinks in the afternoon or evening.